- Introduction for Citing Textual Evidence
In this unit, students will be introduced to citing textual evidence in support of Literature and Informational Reading concepts.
Unit Date: August 7-September 27
- Literary Elements in short stories, novels and poems
In this unit, students will focus on analyzing literary elements in short stories, novels, and poems to determine key ideas, author craft and structure.
Unit Dates: September 30 - November 26
- Text Structure and Point of ViewThis topic
In this unit, students will be analyzing the text structure, word choice and presentation of ideas that represent the author’s point of view
Unit Dates: December 2-January 31
After this unit, students will be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic
- conduct short research projects to answer a question
- gather relevant informtion from multiple print and digital sources
- draw evidence from informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research
- write routinely over extended time frames and shorter time frames
- demonstrate command of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing
- use punctuation to seperate items in a series when writing
- use commas, parenthesis, dashes to set off nonrestrictive/parenthetical elements
In this unit, students will be evaluating the argument the author makes in the text to assess sound reasoning and evidence
Unit Dates: February 4 –March 28
- Analyze Connections in Texts, Productions, Media
In this unit, students will analyze print texts to multimedia, companion texts written by different authors or differing genres in order to evaluate and compare.
Unit Date: April 7 – May 1